Acupuncture for diabetes : Diabetes is a chronic disease wherein the body is unable to properly metabolize sugar. The percentage of people with diabetes is rising rapidly as obesity increases. Complications of diabetes include blindness, heart disease, circulation problems, kidney disease, eye disease, and erectile dysfunction.
Acupuncture has been used to treat diabetes for over 2000 years. The acupuncture points used to treat diabetes are all over the body and on several meridians
Acupuncture can help diabetic patients in the following ways:
• lower blood glucose content
• reducing appetite and thirst
• lower the release of pancreatic glucagons
• attenuate symptoms of polyphagia (the urge to eat too much), polydipsia (excessive thirst) and polyuria (excessive passage of urine)
• prevent slowing of motor nerve conduction
• manage cholesterol levels
• improve microcirculation and myocardial contractility;
• enhance blood outflow and regulate vascular peripheral resistance;
• exert antiatherogenic, antioxidant and immunomodulating effects;
• obliterate antheroscelerosis of the legs;
• induce secretion of endogenous beta-endorphin;
• elevate a lowered pain threshold; and
• Increase cell proliferation and neuropeptide Y levels.
Acupuncture treatments for diabetics are usually on-going and used long-term to manage symptoms of diabetes. Treatments are recommended 1-2 times per week in relation to blood sugar levels and symptoms. Acupuncture is usually combined with herbal remedies for best results.