- What is infertility
- Causes of infertility
- Diagnosis of infertility
- TCM basis of infertility
- Acupuncture treatment of infertility
- Enhanced Natural Fertility
By Dr. Anjali Sharma
What is infertility
Infertility is the state of not being able to get pregnant despite of frequent unprotected sex for at least a year. If the cause is due to male factor, it is called sterility. It is estimated that about 10-15 % couples face this problem. In about 20% cases, the cause is male factor (sterility). In about 30-40% cases it is due to both male and female factors. In rest about 50% cases it is due to female factors.
Female factors – The common female causes are fallopian tube block or damage, endometriosis, disorders of ovulation, hormonal disorders, ovary disorders like polycystic ovary syndrome PCOS or premature ovary failure, pelvic cause like pelvic adhesions, uterus cause like fibroids, disorders of menstruation like amenorrhea, premature menopause etc.
Male factors – Common male causes are disorders of sperm shape, disorders of sperm concentration, disorders of sperm movement, disorders like varicocele or undescended testicles, absence of semen, hormonal disorders like deficiency of testosterone, infection like orchitis, genetic defect, disorder of semen delivery like impotence, retrograde ejaculation, blockage of ejaculatory duct etc.
Common or general factors – Age, stress, malnutrition, obesity, alcohol / smoking / drugs, cancer & its treatment, injury, surgery, systemic disease like diabetes mellitus, hypothyroidism, anemia, exposure to chemicals etc.
- Medical history
- Reproduction related history
- Clinical examination
- Hormonal assessment
- Test for ovulation
- Genetic testing
- Semen analysis
TCM basis of infertility
Although hormonal changes or changes in ovary / uterus are direct causes of infertility but according to TCM there are some causes which leads to such hormonal changes or changes in ovary / uterus. According to traditional Chinese medicine, infertility is due to following factors:
- Congenital deficiency of energy system to support pregnancy
- Excessive and pathogenic emotions
- Excessive sexual activity
- Exposure to cold and / or damp
This leads to:
- Kidney yin or kidney yang deficiency
- Blood and/or Qi deficiency
- Blood and/or Qi stagnation
- Liver Qi stagnation
- Excess cold & phlegm in uterus
- Improves natural conception abilities and chances
- Fights conditions which causes infertility like stress & its impact on body
- Improves and balances Qi (vital energy)
- Corrects Qi and blood deficiency and stagnation
- Removes excess cold & phlegm from uterus
- Improves all physiological body functions
- Corrects hormonal imbalance
- Corrects immunological system and antibodies thereby fights endometriosis, pelvic inflammatory diseases etc.
- Improves psychological status
- Improves reproductive organs and their functioning
- Improves ovulation with healthier eggs
- Improves uterus lining and conditions for implantation of fertilized egg and its stay in uterus
- Improves semen and sperm count and quality in males
- Improves blood flow and nutrition to uterus, ovaries, testis
- Improves uterus and ovary morphology
- Supports In Vitro Fertilization IVF treatment and Intra Uterine Insemination IUI treatment, improves success rate and eliminates side effects.
It is always customized and prepared depending on various factors like infertility cause, age, over all health status etc. The first consultation is towards diagnosis according to TCM and how the condition can be corrected. The treatment program will then be explained. It is better to start acupuncture treatment about 3 – 4 months before the desired time of conception.
- Fertility diet – Changing the diet pattern and including fertility supportive food articles.
- Astro Fertility – Simple and easy to follow astrological suggestion.
- ReproYoga – Unique Yoga program to enhance fertility in both males and females.
- Exercise & Massage – Various exercise & massage techniques to improve fertility and reproductive function.
- Electrostimulation – Stimulating the reproductive organs and enhancing fertility.
- Destressing – Reducing the detrimental effect of stress on fertility.
- Homeopathy – Natural remedies to enhance fertility.
- Hypnotherapy – Hypnosis is stated to improve body functions.